For developers and testers, the understanding of ideal and real-time scenarios is very important. In order to maintain a precise performance check, it is required to use the best load testing tools for recognizing potential bugs. Performance (Load) Testing is considered as a valuable testing technique you can implement before the application release to eliminate performance bottlenecks and maintain the smooth functioning of the application.
The performance or load testing is the right assessment procedure for reviewing whether an app can withstand a load of concurrent users, requests, and data volumes when in use. There are several load testing tools accessible in the market to examine a broad category of applications. The assistance from performance testing service providers helps determine useful factors like reliability, speed, interoperability, scalability and effectiveness, of the program, system, network, computer, or application.
Why do we need Load Testing?
- Load test help recognize the significant improvements required before the product is launched in the market
- Performance (Load) testing update the stakeholders about the scalability, speed, and stability of their software application
- Load testing ensures software performance while various users are using it simultaneously
- This software testing technique works to analyze the inconsistency across multiple OS (operating system)
Top Load Testing Tools
Below is a hand-picked list of Top 10 Load Testing Tools and the key features of each of them. The list includes both commercial and open-source performance testing tools with latest features and download links.
1. Apache Jmeter Tool
It is an open source performance testing tool that can be used for analyzing and measuring the performance of a variety of services. Apache JMeter is used for mobile and web service applications. It helps to measure and analyze the performance of a variety of services.
- An open-source software that comes with an intuitive GUI
- JMeter is a platform-independent tool written and developed using Java
- Highly extensible & supports diverse server types as well as several protocols
- Effortlessly run on any environment which accepts Java Virtual Machine (JVM)
- Easy correlation through a capacity to extract data from famous response formats, XML, HTML, JSON, or any textual format
2. WebLoad Tool
WebLOAD is an enterprise-scale load analysis and testing tool. It is a mobile and web load testing tool from RadView Software. This tool features a complete Load Generation Console, IDE, & a sophisticated Analytics Dashboard. It combines integrity, scalability, and performance, as a single procedure for the verification of mobile and web apps.
- Offered on the Cloud (SAAS) or as an On-Premises deployment
- Flexible test scenario creation
- Supports an extensive range of mobile, web, and enterprise technologies and protocols
- Automatic bottleneck detection
- Simple-to-reach customer support, reports and analysis data can also be checked remotely through a customized Web Dashboard.
3. LoadNinja Tool
LoadNinja by SmartBear allows you to generate script less load tests, decrease test time by 50-55%. It can replace load emulators with real browsers, & obtain actionable, browser-based metrics with reporting and analytics features. It can identify performance bottlenecks immediately.
- Scriptless sophisticated load test formation & playback (with InstaPlay recorder)
- VU Debugger – debug tests in real-time
- Hosted on the cloud, no server machine & upkeep needed
- VU Inspector – handle virtual user activity in real-time.
- Sophisticated browser-based metrics
- Real browser load test execution at scale
4. HP Performance Tester (LoadRunner) Tool
This is a performance testing version of LoadRunner. It lowers the cost of distributed load test and decrease the chance of risks of deploying systems which do not meet performance needs. HP Performance Tester predicts the system ability to lower the software and hardware comprehensive costs.
- Effective tool utilization tracking
- Scale from individual projects to a full-scale testing CoEs (Center of Excellence) that standardizes best practices, consolidates hardware and leverages global test resources
- Lessens the risk of deploying systems using valuable enterprise load testing
- Lower software and hardware costs by predicting system competence
- Determine the core reason for application performance problems completely
- Browser-based access to global test resources
LoadView is capable of presenting actual application performance under load; similar to what the users get to experience. This performance (load) testing tool makes use of real browser-centric load testing for both web applications and APIs. Furthermore, LoadView develops multistage scripts that replicate user interaction with your application with the help of EveryStep Web Recorder.
- Implementation of Rich Internet Applications (RIA) like Silverlight, HTML5, Java, PHP, and more
- Simplified creation of test scripts without indulging in any form of code
- Cloud-based load testing technique for real browsers
- Test compatibility for multiple desktop & mobile devices and browsers
- Performance assessment & reporting shareable with different stakeholders
6. LoadUI Pro Tool
LoadUI Pro by Smartbear allows you to rapidly create script less sophisticated load tests with just a few clicks. It can easily support MQTT SOAP, REST, JMS, and several other API formats. You can access detailed reports and rapidly automate your load tests on Bamboo, TFS, Jenkins, and other automated frameworks.
- Scriptless and sophisticated Load test creation
- Preconfigured load test templates like smoke, baseline, spike, stress,
- Drag and drop load testing on distribution agents on cloud
- Can be used to carry out API load testing
- Sophisticated analytics and statists features for reporting
- Fast conversion of functional testing from SoapUI as load tests
7. BlazeMeter Tool
BlazeMeter tool can help to test the performance of phone applications, websites, web applications, and APIs. The tool gives an agile platform that is compatible with Selenium, Apache JMeter, and various other similar open-source tools. The tool is useful to carry out a continuous delivery process by providing integration with the development environment. It also provides a powerful analytics and reporting function.
- Rapidly pinpoints defects using the in-built error report function
- Descriptive and interactive report timeline graph to prepare a clear report
- Comprehensive load tests using both, API frontend and backend
- Uses JSON and YAML syntax for developers using these languages
8. Silk Performer Tool
Silk Performer tool is enterprise-scale stress and load testing tool. This specific load test tool has the ability to test multiple application environments with 1000 plus concurrent users. It also supports the extensive range of protocols. It is perfectly designed to ensure a consistent user experience across different devices.
- A peak load scenario can be generated
- Real-world load tests & user pattern can be simulated
- Existing bump tests can be used to speed up the test cycle
- Provides integration with APM tools to resolve performance glitches like loitering objects, memory leaks, etc.
- End-to-end diagnostics to pinpoint flaws from the user perspective
9. Rational Performance Tester
IBM RPT is an automated performance and load testing tool that determines the presence and reason of system performance bottlenecks. Rational Performance Tester is developed by IBM Corporation. It allows the develop team to validate the reliability and scalability of web-based apps before deployment into a production environment.
- Offers real-time reporting for immediate awareness of performance problems at any time during a test.
- Can be utilized used for both server-based applications and web-based applications
- Pinpoint and rectifies leakages in the servers and sites
- Compatible with Oss like Mac OS X, AIX, and Microsoft Windows
- Supports load testing against apps like TCP Socket, SAP, Siebel, Citrix, SIP, HTTP,
- Provision for automated test design that permits 10x faster creation of test solutions together with regular updates
- Shared test scripts & real-time reporting together with SaaS web interface
- Incorporation with CI servers in relation to automated-test runtime
- Cloud load generation gathered from multiple global localizations
You need to choose the best tool according to your project goals. Also, if you are searching for the performance testing services then ImpactQA is one of the leading names in this industry.[Note: The following 10 load testing tools are not rated or ranked in any specific order of importance, but are listed randomly]