Top 7 Agile Testing Trends to Look Out in 2024
The relentless march of technology continues to shape our world, bringing forth new and improved innovations each year. The demand for software development and testing has entered an innovation arena, with emerging technologies playing a pivotal role. As an increasing number of enterprises have started shifting their software development strategies to embrace agility, the prominence of agile testing is on the rise. Studies project that the global market for agile development and testing is poised to exceed $30 billion by the year 2026.
As 2023 draws to a close, it’s the perfect time to peer into the future of Agile testing processes. What stands out as the trend that could significantly shape the destiny of your tech teams in 2024 and beyond? Are there any emerging developments poised to have a lasting impact in the years to come? Here are a few crucial agile testing trends expected to impact enterprises wishing for quality software testing in 2024.
One prominent agile testing trend in 2024 will be the adoption of a shift-left approach in more mainstream application development projects. The shift-left approach entails the relocation of testing activities to the early stages of development, as opposed to the traditional practice of conducting testing after the development phase. Its core principle is centered on the concept of testing at an early stage and testing often. This approach empowers test engineers to conduct more in-depth exploration during each iterative testing phase, as they focus on smaller portions of code or specific features in each iteration, as opposed to the entire end-to-end application.
The prime advantages of the Shift-Left Approach are:
- Early detection and mitigation of software bugs and vulnerabilities
- Reduced development costs and faster time-to-market
- Improved collaboration between development and operations teams
Low-code Test Automation
In contrast to traditional software development, low-code test automation remains a notably underexplored domain. You can count on the one hand the number of low-code platforms dedicated to quality assurance. This situation appears to be a missed chance, considering the potential benefits of reducing the technical complexity for individuals with a QA-oriented perspective. The integration of OpenAI’s GPT model might encourage software vendors to consider creating a low-code test automation tool tailored for quality assurance purposes.
The prime advantages of the Low-code Test Automation are:
- Accelerates test script development with minimal coding
- Reduced technical demand for streamlined automation
- Enhanced developer-tester collaboration with simplified workflows
Agile Supported by AI & ML
The effective usage of artificial intelligence and machine learning to support agile methods creates a dominant way of data analysis. Such collaboration enables software teams to find better productivity linked to testers and developers. AI & ML together provide real-time information and even offer a clear prediction as to when the project will enter the release phase. The incorporation of futuristic technologies like robotics, IoT, quantum computing, etc., is very much possible with the effective operations of AI & ML in the software development process.
The prime advantages of Agile supported by AI & ML are:
- Delivers precise insights on better approaches for creating testing code
- Assessment of code and associated tests to eliminate bugs
- Incorporation of innovative technologies for augmenting software development & time-to-market
The concept of DevOps is solely based on lean management. It focuses on merging development and operations to create a practical environment. A DevOps approach seeks to filter out the software development lifecycle to remove waste and speed up software delivery. It is observed that the combination of Agile and DevOps can refine team communication and relationships, thereby reducing software failures. Furthermore, DevOps readily amalgamates continuous testing into the development process to ensure code quality.
The prime advantages of the DevOps Approach are:
- Faster software development and deployment with continuous integration and delivery
- Integrates coding and testing processes by ensuring the testing of each code change
- Integrates operations within the team to lessen downstream testing concerns
Scaling Up Test Automation
Although not the most recent trend in agile testing, automated QA is proving to be highly impactful, with a growing number of companies recognizing its value. The initial investment is relatively affordable, aside from the expense of hiring engineers, as many solutions are either free or open source. Even with a conservative approach, substantial time savings can be achieved by utilizing a test automation tool that consolidates both automated and manual tests within a single solution.
The prime advantages of Scaling Up Test Automation are:
- Accelerates testing cycles and shortens development timelines in agile projects
- Enhances test accuracy and coverage, reducing the risk of human errors
- Enables continuous integration and delivery, promoting rapid and reliable releases
The dependency on quality engineering is more when you manage testing activities in an agile environment. What is different in quality engineering when compared to quality assurance? Quality engineering deploys continuous testing of the concerned product with the deep involvement of automation. It is ensured that the product is placed under effective testing to make it error-free.
The prime advantages of Quality Engineering are:
- Deliver quick feedback on the software product since continuous testing is performed covering diverse platforms and operating systems
- Reduced software failures and availability of early feedback
Adopting Unit Testing in Agile Development
Agile’s core tenet is adaptability, and unit testing aligns seamlessly with this principle. When developers create their straightforward tests, it streamlines the development process, preventing issues from reaching the QA phase. Though implementing unit tests may entail extra effort for developers and collaboration with QA, the time saved, even in the short term, significantly outweighs these initial investments.
The prime advantages of Adopting Unit Testing in Agile Development are:
- Improves code quality by encouraging cleaner and more maintainable code
- Provides faster feedback, facilitating quicker iterations and frequent software delivery in Agile development
The effectiveness of Agile Testing in today’s embryonic & progressive testing environment cannot be ignored. Hence, matching pace with vital technological upgrades to improve agile testing is the primary motive for most software testing companies. You can get in touch with ImpactQA, a renowned software testing provider to learn more about the various attributes of agile testing.