The emergence of Blockchain technology has transformed the IT space with serious developments involving the supply chain of numbers, data, money, and people. It is interesting to know that software testing companies have suitably embraced blockchain technology due to its highly prospective nature. The effectiveness of this technology to cater to varied testing requirements is a prime aspect that has made QA companies curious enough to gather comprehensive blockchain knowledge.
We cannot deny the fact that blockchain is undoubtedly one of the revolutionary technological blessings which are capable of shaping the future. However, the availability of experts well aware of its applications is less or expensive to hire. As a result, companies aren’t able to incorporate blockchain-based apps without accurate testing. QA companies list such issues as challenges as they wish to access blockchain app testing for quality and stability.
At present, the best software testing companies are loaded with the expertise and resources required to productively test different components of the blockchain app. This write-up helps you gain a clear insight into the importance of Blockchain testing and the popular tools required for examining blockchain-based apps.
What is the Process of Blockchain App Testing?
The testing procedure typically involves functional testing to analyze different functional aspects. Moreover, testers also investigate app performance by spotting possible issues and suggesting necessary tweaks that favor its readiness in terms of launch. Few other important segments of blockchain app testing include:
- Application programming interface testing or API testing, as it assures testers that the concerned application is capable of formatting and handling API requests excellently.
- Node and shared ledger testing covering all heterogeneous components to ensure the streamlined functioning of the applications. This is marked necessary since it supports the security analysis of the system and its resistance to potential attacks.
Famous Blockchain App Testing Tools
Below mentioned are the 5 well-known tools for testing blockchain applications:
1. BitcoinJ: It is a library for carrying out operations with the Bitcoin protocol. This Java-based framework is specially created for Bitcoin-based apps that permit interaction with the actual BTC network along with different testing activities. There is no need to download the standardized BTC Core files via Bitcoin.com for using this tool. By implementing the functions in this library, you can transfer and receive Bitcoins in a real-time setup.
2. Ethereum Tester: There is another open-source blockchain testing library that is accessible in the form of a Github repository. With a simplified setup and tractable API support for different testing requirements, Ethereum Tester can be seen as a highly capable testing tool.
3. Populus: This framework possesses the testing practicality of Ethereum which is well integrated as a set of attributes aimed at testing contract deployment. Populus is principally developed around the py.test framework, thereby, supporting its relatively easy implementation.
4. Embark: You can place your trust in this testing framework that is mainly associated with the development of decentralized applications (dApps) which operate on different systems. The effectiveness of Embark is highlighted through its assimilation with IPFS, Ethereum blockchain as well as a decentralized communication platform like Orbit and Whisper.
5. Truffle: For Ethereum developers, it is a commonly mentioned name that associates impressive testing features, including automated contract testing. This blockchain testing framework is equipped with capabilities that surpass testing functionality, such as working with famous test runners like Chai and Mocha.
Challenges to Blockchain App Testing
The confirmation to adopt Blockchain technology comes with several intrinsic challenges because the change in the technology itself is quite significant. Apart from standard testing and authorization such as functional testing, non-functional testing, security testing, performance testing, and integration testing, there is a need for specialized testing abilities to actively support the testing teams.
Below mentioned are some of the prevalent challenges linked to Blockchain app testing which shouldn’t be ignored by testers.
Lack of Experience
One of the prominent challenges to blockchain testing and development of applications is the inadequate experience with the correct methodology within the Blockchain arena. Gathering knowledge and cultivating additional skills to incorporate Blockchain applications is no doubt quite expensive.
Validate Block and Chain Size
Even though you abide by standard blockchain testing and implement necessary tools, the investigation for block size and chain size is highly essential. Proper determination of block size and chain size will help avoid any sort of failure related to Blockchain applications.
If security testing is not satisfactory, it can lead to the creation of Blockchain applications that are prone to attacks at the user level, network level, and mining level.
Substandard Test Scheme
Lesser significance is given to testing when compared to the overall programming process. Such routine results in forming a Blockchain app development domain with less or almost no dedicated testers for investigating and evaluating Blockchain products. Presently, the testing strategy being executed is substandard leading to ineffective Blockchain app testing.
With a clear description of the importance of blockchain app testing and the popular tools involved, you are also informed about the vital challenges related to the blockchain testing process. For any further assistance or information required, feel free to connect with professional testers at ImpactQA. Each of your doubts associated with blockchain app testing can be suitably resolved by these experts.Learn More