Building a successful software testing strategy is the tricky task and the approach will vary on a team to team. Some may include automation engineers than manual testers, while some may have shifted left and depend on expert developers to do the heavy lifting. Deadlines, Budget, application type, and development model are all driven factors that impact how a software testing strategy outlined should be implemented. There are distinct approaches, all of which are equally significant to reach a realistic decision to the pressing questions facing testers and developers:
- Do all features effectively process and function as expected?
- Can the app withstand the heavy load demands?
- Are there security vulnerabilities that could put users at threat?
- Is the app simple to use?
Factors to Consider while picking out the right Software testing Strategies:
You must select software testing strategies with an eye towards the above factors mentioned earlier, the budget, schedule, and attributes constraints of the project and the realities of the enterprises and its politics. The methodologies, tools, and patterns for testing have evolved with the changing needs. For example, as per industry reports and core analysis, DevOps and Agile have been the primal drivers for growth in the test market. There is an undying necessity to launch apps at speed and keep up quality at the same time. Consequently, in modern era test starts way ahead in the development lifecycle rather of being introduced at the final stage of the development process. Implementing a robust strategy is the foundation of uninterrupted delivery, and automation is the key to a successful constant delivery pipeline.
Let us have a glance at some software testing challenges that 2019 plans to bring for the tests fraternity:
- Developing skills for the trendy term “Agile and DevOps”- According to Technavio’s market research analysts- the global market will grow uniformly at a CAGR of around 14% untill 2021. Test Automation services and Agile services will be the key growth drivers. Testers must adopt DevOps and Agile skills to ensure heightened performance, velocity, and flexibility in the software development process.
- Preference for Open-Source platforms- Increasing adoption for Open-Source platforms for testing not only brings cost-effectiveness but also brings in a community of experts for assistance. This has resulted in the high preference of open-source platforms like Selenium.
- Interface with social media- It is the requirement that every single app should interface with social media. It implies that testers are required to build social media networking skills. Users need instant access to resources, content, discussions, and stay updated.
- Acceptance and adoption of Automation over Manual- The complexities with apps and software are high and there is a great demand for third-party integration. Tests are required regularly, which might reach a dead point if automation is not done.
- Dealing with issues and up-gradation in Web & Mobile Technologies- Devices and screen dimensions are enormously upgrading and changing. This has resulted in complications, so the best way out is to keep a check on the web and mobile technology progressions and guide the coding architecture & cope with technical challenges to deliver robust Quality Assurance solutions.
- Processes to offer immediate Customer support-Today it is imperative for apps to build instant support and feedback execution mechanisms within the software.
- Think beyond Methodologies, get logical- Technologies like Agile, Automation, Shift-left, DevOps, and Service Virtualization have added immense value to boost and accelerate the software test cycle. However, today testers are expected to add logic and think beyond just test. Good Analytics, logical thinking, reasoning skills, can assist in driving more credible results with standards.
These could be top software testing challenges that testers might face while building a suitable strategy and harnessing the essential skills. However, overcoming these software testing challenges will help experts to move beyond the mundane action and leapfrog into a strategic position in the complete development cycle.