While focusing on application development iterations, laying full dependency on manual testing is never a viable option. Not only the cost but the development speed holds no match with automation as a suitable alternative. However, organizations delayed the expansion of test automation since inexpensive manual testing options were available. Such practices were active five years ago, where only 30% of enterprise software testing was performed in-house, as per the World Quality Report. Considering this minor percentage share, a vast majority of the testing was processed via manual techniques.
Enterprise-level test automation needs a better approach since organizations are in complete denial regarding their competent implementation. According to Tricentis, it was revealed that companies at first reported their automation advancement at 18% (from 2015 to 2018) related to end-to-end functional tests. But in reality, the percentage is much lower when you assess the number of tests conducted regularly.
There is a fair chance that your business does include automated tests, but you still get to experience the following problems:
- Lack of confidence among developers to make system changes
- Re-emergence of potential bugs
- Inefficiency among the team to add new features
- Developers are uncertain to re-factor the target system
To achieve a high-end response, the imperativeness of test automation should be understood by enterprises. It doesn’t matter what sector your company belongs to, automating operations will bring about several profitable changes. The big question is: How can full-grown companies juggling with complex systems achieve an extensive level of test automation service benefits to match current delivery schedules?
Let us draw attention to the top strategies to break enterprise test automation barriers to fulfill different automation needs conveniently.
Issues with Test Maintenance
It should be clear that tests that are difficult to maintain can hamper the working of your test automation arrangement. For instance, if you are working on weak scripts, a significant amount of resources and time will be spent on test maintenance. Such a practice can influence your time-saving planner dedicated to testing automation, thereby, converting the process into a tiring one.
If you are fully driven towards maintaining tests, there is a possibility that the test results get puzzled by false positives and false negatives. The one logical way to resolve this instability is to search for a more robust technique of articulating the test. There are several technical solutions to address this situation right when it becomes evident. Some of these strategies are:
- While looking for test automation solutions, it is essential to concentrate on how the tools react to acceptable and expected alterations. This covers a thorough analysis of the work required to maintain good sync among different tools as the application evolves.
- Always keep in mind that stable tests are also prone to bump into issues if they are operated with incompatible test data.
Selection of Appropriate Tools
At present, you cannot complain about the availability of open-source or free automation testing tools. Suppose you are trying to deploy test automation within a small team dedicated to an individual web or mobile interface. In that case, it is recommended to search for a free tool that can fulfill primary needs and deliver notable test automation benefits.
Moreover, for a large organization trying to manage testing transactions that pass through APIs, SAP, mainframes, web, mobile, etc.; there needs to be a test automation tool that can streamline testing across all technology platforms. This will prove beneficial for team members to reuse and manage each other’s work efficiently.
Things to consider before selecting a tool are:
- The common mistake most organizations make while planning a test automation scheme is the ideology that aligning a test automation tool is the primary step for test automation implementation.
- Keep in mind that regardless of the tool you select, you must view it as a component for dealing with a broader transformation that impacts the process, and associated technologies.
Swing to API Testing
In the present world scenario, UI testing acquires a more significant part of functional test automation. It means only a small portion of testing is carried out at the API level. But looking at the continuous testing needs, it is required to initiate an arrangement which stresses more on API testing.
For modern development processes, API testing has gained extensive recognition. This is because APIs possess a more stable interface for the target system. Moreover, API tests are easier to maintain as compared to UI tests.
What makes API tests better for enterprise test automation?
- We can deploy API tests earlier in every run than UI tests.
- API tests are capable of providing detailed underlying functionality which is usually beyond the extent of UI tests
- The execution of API tests is faster and therefore helps in checking each new build quite efficiently, keeping in mind the current user experience.
The challenges, as mentioned above to enterprise test automation, are comprehensively broken down with proper solutions. For an organization to broaden its automation wants, it is necessary to incorporate significant changes with its automation tools selection, shift to API testing, and revamp the test maintenance approach. It is sensible to seek quality assistance from a well-established software testing company for simplifying test automation needs for your business. ImpactQA carries a global reputation and can conveniently assist you in planning enterprise-level test automation.Learn More